REVIEW: JACKSON KAYAK BITE

In the burgeoning fishing kayak market, there's still a pretty large gap, overall, in between entry-level watercrafts (think $500 or less) and also the leading end of the market. It's difficult to find a truly good kayak that blends high quality, stability and also price for anything less than $1,000.

A minimum of that's what I assumed before I tried out the Jackson Kayak Bite.

I took Jackson Kayak's brand-new "price-point" fishing kayak out for a day on the water on a triad of small lakes in western Kentucky. Below's what I discovered.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Prior to also going down the Bite in the water, I was actually pleased with how easy it was for me to lift and navigate it around. I'm not a big guy (5 feet, 8 inches as well as 160 pounds saturating wet), however I really did not have any issues lifting it out of the truck bed and also strolling it down to the water. I would certainly imagine a cart would certainly can be found in convenient for walking the 72-pound kayak much longer distances, but it's most definitely workable if you're packing and dumping it yourself.



At $799 (MSRP), you're inflatable fishing boat not likely to discover an additional kayak this size that feels as strong and as durable as the Bite. The durable handles are a needs to for one-person carry, and also the removable, trimmable seat is a large incentive for a price-point kayak.

The open-concept deck right away attracted attention to me as a rather one-of-a-kind yet definitely novel style function. In-hull storage is convenient for a great deal of factors, yet I found the Bite's flat, open deck to be optimal for storing a great deal of equipment that's very easy to get to. The storage space well in the strict is massive, and a Jackson Kayak JKrate could be the play if you need a rod and take on storage system to fill it up.

It frequently takes me more than 30 minutes to rig up my personal fishing kayak-- as well as to be fair, I didn't bring all my normal gadgets to review the Bite-- but it took me less than 10 mins to get rigged up and prepared to hit the water as soon as I reached each lake.

SECURITY

The first thing I evaluate on any kayak is its stability, and I was thoroughly amazed with the Bite because division. It's 35 inches large, which is ample to allow the ordinary kayak fishermen to stand up without excessive difficulty. If I can stand up and make some casts without stability problems, it's a great wager I'm not mosting likely to overload the boat sitting down.

After a complete day on the water, my point of view of the Bite's security didn't alter. At the first lake, I navigated standing lumber and laydowns (unsuccessfully in some cases) in winds gusting upwards of 15 miles per hour. Without a pedal drive, I routinely discovered myself wandering into overhanging branches while my hands were occupied with a pole, and, on greater than one event, I was compelled to eliminate attractions on my other poles from tangles of branches.

That can be a dish for calamity in less stable kayaks-- especially in gusty problems-- but I never had a single issue in the Bite. If you're looking for an economical fishing kayak that really feels as stable as it looks, this is it.

ABILITY TO MOVE

The Bite isn't a kayak you would certainly intend on securing in tearing river existing, so I wasn't all that concerned with its relatively modest maneuverability. At 11 feet, 6 inches as well as 72 extra pounds, I simply anticipated the Bite to track a little far better than it did, though it isn't slow-moving by any means. I likewise wasn't able to examine it in tranquil problems, and also I sense I would have been more amazed with its monitoring if I had not been dealing with a stiff wind the majority of the day.

On the other hand, the Bite feels incredibly simple to paddle, due in large component to the elevated seat. I didn't discover myself obtaining fatigued, also when paddling a number of hundred lawns at a time.

I did find myself wanting a shallow-water anchor system while fishing in the wind. Fortunately, there are great alternatives for that (like the Power-Pole Micro), yet without one, I found myself eluding into creeks as well as cuts a bit more often than I would certainly have liked simply to leave the wind.

Profits: There are much more manoeuvrable fishing kayaks around, yet the Bite's security as well as 35-inch beam greater than offset it. I'll take security over top-end tracking any type of day.

PLACING IT TO THE EXAMINATION

I rigged up the Bite with very little gear: a homemade milk pet crate organizer with some pole owners as well as a set of Plano 3700-size deep StowAways, 5 casting rods, an internet, a cooler and also some dry bags with extra gear. I additionally used scupper plugs at the very first lake, though I left them in the truck at the final two lakes.

With flat storage wells at both the bow and also strict, as well as take on storage space around as well as under the detachable seat, I was virtually let down in myself for not bringing a lot more equipment. Provided the security of the Bite-- and consequently little need for completely dry in-hull storage space-- there's probably much more storeroom on the deck than you'll even require.

One of my favored features on this kayak was the addition of shaped rod-stagers near the bow, which enabled me to have a pole in my hand as well as 4 more existing flat along the deck. Jackson put some major thought into this design, as well as the rod-stagers (though straightforward) are a good example of that. My poles nested comfortably along the middle part of the hull as well as out of the way of my legs. In most cases, with the exception of large pole butts, customers need to be able to put rod butts under the seat structure for a little added protection. Regardless of bringing a milk crate with rod tubes, I only used the molded rod-stagers and also set of recessed upright rod owners (behind the seat) for pole storage space.

Marketed by Jackson as a "price-point" kayak, I was both amazed and impressed to see a pair of track places included on the Bite. I only used them for a set of YakAttack paddle holders (which I used to safeguard my touchdown web), yet I 'd definitely put them to make use of for electronic devices if this were my daily fishing kayak.

The trimmable seat is one more great feature in an $800 kayak, as well as I located it to be very comfy, also after investing every bit of 7 hours sitting in it. It's adjustable to a variety of positions, so also the quickest and also highest fishermens can locate a comfy position. My only interest in the seat is its tendency, when I leaned back, to bulge of the plastic braces that secure the front section of the seat frame. That took place to me a pair times while moving around in the seat, as well as I assume I 'd probably intend to do a little tinkering to make those brackets more safe if I owned this kayak.

FISHABILITY

The Bite is steady and also versatile enough to function as more than just a fishing kayak, but fishing is ultimately what it was made for, and also fishing is what I utilized it for.

My personal fishing kayak (10 feet, 6 inches and also 57 pounds; 32 inches vast) is the key basis for my contrast in this testimonial, and also with a price that came in simply a couple hundred dollars less expensive than the Bite, I think it's a pretty fair watercraft to contrast next to Jackson's budget-friendly design.


To put it merely: There possibly isn't another price-point kayak on the marketplace that comes close to the worth the Bite supplies. The trimmable seat alone is a function you're not most likely to locate in several fishing kayaks under $1,000. That all amounts to a fishing kayak that does exactly what it's intended to do-- and also a little bit a lot more.

When it involves fishing from a kayak, the majority of people are searching for five points: security, ability to move, storage, convenience and price. With the exception of premium maneuverability, the Bite has each in spades. And that makes fishing from it an absolute satisfaction.

With numerous different poles lying along the deck, I did a lot of changing in between a crankbait, a skill worm, a swimbait and a frog (along with a couple various other baits). The Bite's rod-stagers made switching out rods easy as well as hassle-free, which isn't normally the case in kayaks with pole storage space behind the seat.

I had the ability to stand and also make lengthy casts and also hooksets, and also moving to the front of the boat to get things from the bow storage well was a piece of cake-- 2 points I rarely do in my personal kayak. Jackson got it right with the 35-inch-wide hull.

THE VERDICT

You may boat power pole on the market that are much more secure or provide more storage or even more bells and whistles, yet you probably will not find them done in one bundle that retails for under $800. The Jackson Bite fills up deep space between entry-level fishing kayaks as well as state-of-the-art multi-thousand-dollar designs, as well as it fills up that space well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do I tie a hook?

Monofilament Lines: Loops Reduce Performance